Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Ebb and Flow

I know I promised before/afters in the next post. I have to get some more things on the wall before then so, please, bear with me.

As I was out driving today, I felt very compelled to write a new post. My life has drastically changed in the last couple of weeks and I am guessing it will really start to hit me soon as things quiet down. I have been riding the "high" part of the roller coaster with moving in, having guests, making our house a home, and keeping busy. In those rare moments of sitting still, I think too much, and the wave I have been riding dies down to meet the sand.

Yesterday and today I had a few moments like that and started to get down. I try to be upbeat as much as possible, but sometimes, life gets tougher. I was basically born and raised in Greenville/Spartanburg and know those areas like the back of my hand; It hits hard when you rely on a GPS to find a grocery store, a hardware store, or really anything for that matter. To top it off, today I met a lot of literal "Dead Ends" and even Wanda (my GPS) couldn't help me find my way back to the main streets. Also, I have always had family to call when I needed a lunch date; today I sat at the table in Chic-fil-a alone. Silly things like this start to add up and that's when reality strikes--this is new. This is not Greenville. Things are not what they were.

The most important aspect I am missing right now is the best thing to fill an empty hole in my heart--a strong dose of God through church.  We JUST found the best church for us in Greenville, became members, and now we find ourselves starting over not even knowing where to begin. Sometimes I want to just yell, "WHY?!"

As these tides of emotion ebb and flow, I have to remind myself that it's "all good" and it's all "happening for a reason." I believe changes and transitions are for the better and always make a person stronger. I know for a fact that God wants us here in Roanoke. He wants us to live in this beautiful home and to have our wonderful jobs and to, eventually, make new friends and strengthen our existing relationships. I try to remind myself that He has a plan for us (Jeremiah 29:11) and it is good. Those moments when my thoughts drift or I get sad and lonely will happen and it is okay.

This too shall pass. This too shall pass.

Love,

Surfer Girl

3 comments:

  1. Lauren, I totally get how a big new city feels! Justin and I moved 4 hours away from GSP, too, and Gladys (our old GPS) was our BFF for months. You are right, it gets better, and God put y'all there for a reason. Soon enough, you'll know the new city like the back of your hand, too!

    I wrote about moving to Durham and my issues with depression that it caused (look under the Durham tag and read "Torrid Love Affair" if you'd like to read it). I so hope you don't have to endure that. I'm here if you need to talk! :)

    Love,
    Caty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Caty! You're so sweet! I'll have to check out your blog as well. I hope you're doing well! Things are good--it's just weird living somewhere different and going through all the motions to get where you need to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so weird that you got to my Wordpress page...my Blogger, my actual blog, is cisforcaty.blogspot.com. Yes, it is weird! It's like relearning what you learned at 16 a decade later! :)

    ReplyDelete