Pages

Monday, February 12, 2018

The Mystery of You

It was late in my pregnancy with Julia when I found myself nesting in the aisles of Homegoods, and an older woman approached me. These words flowed from her with the kind of wisdom only grandmothers and teachers can give: "Pregnancy is the only time we get to help God perform a miracle." What a joy-packed, life-giving, and grace-filled statement that is. 

As we are two days away from knowing the sex of our new baby, it does not escape me that God has once again allowed me to help Him. I am truly soaking up the anticipation and the excitement in these last days of wonder. When Wednesday comes, we will get to know our child a little more. Part of the mystery of who this little one is in there will be shown to us. Isn't it funny that I am physically carrying this baby as he or she lives within me, yet God already knows every minute detail? Every hair. Every attribute. Every smile. Every up. Every down. All the days to come? So, while we wait in anticipation of black and white ultrasound videos and a determination of sex, God has been there and will be there creating it all.

I can't help but think He grins a little over my literal dreams each night concerning the reveal. I bet he loves that we sit debating boy or girl, making silly predictions where we have a 50% chance of being right. Whether we realize it or not, all of these antics and conversations inevitably stem from the fact that we are completely in awe of creation and the divine nature of our Creator. 

Some people choose not to find out if their baby is a boy/girl and want to wait until birth. I think that's wonderful (and frankly I wish I had it within me!) but, finding out (for me) means that the pregnancy becomes less clinical and much more personally connected. I love that we can get to know this little person already. I am ecstatic to know whether we will have a son or daughter or if Julia will gain a brother or sister. I am not ignoring the fact that Wednesday also shows us the progression of development and the physical health of our baby. I am praying big things for this little one. 

There are few times in life with good, uncontrolled surprises. As I sit and contemplate a little longer, in a few days I know I'll wish  I remembered exactly what the unknown felt like. As I have dreamed of the future, I've always wondered how many sons and daughters we'd have and what they would be like. The unknown seems to be a dim place of earthy uncertainty but an opportunity to hold onto a bright, ethereal out-stretched hand from heaven. So, today I will sit here and look down at this little  growing bump, soaking up the mystery of it all. 


For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

No comments:

Post a Comment